2020 Recap: Major Controversies, Deaths In Entertainment Industry
The Nigeria entertainment was hit badly in the year 2020 due to COVID-19 pandemic which continues to terrorise the world.
The pandemic has its effect on vertually everyone in the entertainment industry in Nigeria, ranging from actors to artists.
With lots of tours cancelled, Cinemas were shut, shows were moved to 2021. However the famous reality show, Big Brother Naija, BBNaija and other controversies were channels of entertainment industry for many.
JustNaijaBase brings you the top three issues in no particular order:
1. Marlian leader, Azeez Fashola, popularly known as Naira Marley getting arrested and arraigned by the Lagos government for flouting COVID-19 restriction orders.
Naira Marley and a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain, Babatunde Gbadamosi were among guests that attended the 42nd birthday party organized by Funke Akindele at Amen Estate.
After consideration, the four counts filed against them were withdrawn on condition that the defendants tenders an apology to President Muhammadu Buhari and the Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu.
2. The arrest of Nigerian Instagram celebrity, Raymond Abass, popularly known as Hushpuppi by Interpol.
Hushpuppi was apprehended alongside 12 others in June 2020 in Dubai during a special operation dubbed ‘Fox hunt 2″ was the talk of the town in June.
Hushpuppi, who lives a flamboyant lifestyle on Instagram was charged for hacking into the United States (US) unemployed database and defrauding the US of over $100 million accrued for native Americans.
He allegedly defrauded over 1.9 million victims, using fake email to people and diverting payments to their account. He was extradited from the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to the US where he appeared in Chicago court on July 3rd, facing trial for multiple fraud charges.
3. BBNaija season 5 coming late in the year got was a top trends as the biggest fight this season was between housemates, Laycon and Erica.
The latter was disqualified and Laycon emerged as the winner with N65m.
4. Omah Lay and Tems getting arrested in November 2020 leading to Nigerians attacking the Ugandan government. The fast rising music stars were arrested for flouting COVID-19 rules in Uganda.
On getting their release, Tems took to her social media page to blast Ugandan artist, Bebecool warning him not to step his foot in Nigeria.
5. To end the 2020 controversies In Nigeria entertainment industry, top Music stars, Davido and Burna Boy were seen fighting in Ghana. In the viral video which led to lots of reactions, Davido was seen walking angry from a night club in Ghana after a confrontation with Burna Boy.
However both parties refused to confirm or give details of the brawl.
But Davido later took to his Instagram page threatening to abandon the music industry. According to him, he’s hated by his colleagues because he was born rich.
Read Also:Biography of Tiwa Savage, Net Worth, Nudes And All Songs
2020 notable deaths in entertainment industry
In 2020, the entertainment industry lost some major players to the cold hands of death. The death of these stars like Majek Fashek, Pa Kasumu, Chico Ejiro, Dan Foster who passed on due to the COVID-19 complications, shocked the industry
1. Majekodunmi Fasheke popularly known as Majek Fashek died on June 2 2020. The legendary singer who started his music career in the 80s and was popular for the 1988 album ‘Prisoner of Conscience’, which included the multiple award-winning single “Send Down the Rain’ died at the age of 57.
Majek Fashek was the archetypal musician, not just a singer but also a song writer and a guitarist.
2. Nollywood actress, Jennifer Omole died on January 5th 2020. She was the CEO of jennisFilms and also produced the movie ‘StolenVow.
3. Popular radio presenter, Daniel ‘Dan’ Foster, famously known as ‘the Big Dawg died on Wednesday, June 17 2020. The American who arrived Nigeria in 2000 passed away after battling complications resulting from COVID-19.
Until his death, he worked with Inspiration FM and City FM and was a staff of Classic FM.
4. Actress, Emilia Dike, died on May 21, 2020. Although the real cause of her death remains unknown it was reported that she slumped and died in Enugu State.
5. Veteran actress, Chizoba Sam-Boye who was the star of M-net produced TV series, “Tinsel.” died at aged 53. Chizoba died of diabetes related complications.
6. Chico Ejiro: The 57-year-old producer and film maker died on Christmas day, 25 December 2020. Ejiro known for blockbuster movies in the 90s passed away after a seizure.
The Delta state-born will be remembered for his works, which includes ‘Deadly Affair, Blood Money, Silent Night, and several others.
Leave a Reply